The Best Silk Pillowcases for Your Ultimate Beauty Sleep
No matter what position you sleep in, you spend hours each night with your hair or face pressed up against a pillow. Turns out all that friction can cause creases that turn into wrinkles over time, not to mention bedhead that'll take longer to style in the morning. Thankfully, silk pillowcases exist to give you the beauty sleep of your dreams.Silk pillowcases create a smooth surface for your hair and skin to glide over, and with less friction there will be less creases on your skin and less frizz in your hair. Silk also has inherent cooling capabilities and feels so luxurious to lie on. But because it's pricey and super delicate, you want to make sure you're investing in one that'll last.The Good Housekeeping Institute Textiles Lab has tested dozens of real silk and synthetic satin pillowcases for durability, moisture wicking properties, smoothness, and more. We also send them home with our consumer panel for real life snooze-testing. Read on to learn about our top picks, but first, here's everything you need to know about silk pillowcase benefits:Do silk pillowcases really make a difference?When it comes to bedhead and wrinkles, yes! Studies show that friction from tossing and turning causes creases in the skin, but dermatologists say that a silky smooth surface can reduce this effect in the long run. Similarly, with less friction on your hair, you're less likely to wake with frizz and tangles. But keep in mind: you should always be wary of unrealistic promises and you can't expect major changes like fewer breakouts, amino acid benefits, or anti-aging benefits.Is Mulberry silk actually silk?Yes! Mulberry silk is not only real silk, it's the highest quality of silk you can find. Think of it as the Egyptian cotton equivalent of silk: the fibers are longer and more uniform so the fabric is smoother and more durable. What momme silk is best?Instead of thread count, silk fabrics use momme – i.e. fabric weight. You'll usually find a range of 15-30 momme, but in our tests the top performers were 22 momme or higher.What's the difference between silk and satin? Silk is a fiber, whereas satin is the weave. Most silk pillowcases are both silk and satin, but you can find satin pillowcases made of polyester for a lower price. Don't worry: the faux silk pillowcases will give you the same smoothness benefits (plus some added durability). Below are the best silk pillowcases to buy in 2019:
1) 25mm Mulberry Silk Pillowcase - Fishers Finery$43.99Shop NowNot only is this one the winner of our test, it's also a Good Housekeeping Seal holder (so if it's damaged or defective within two years, Good Housekeeping will give you a refund). It was strong and moisture-wicking in our Lab evaluations, and at-home users told us it was comfy to sleep on and kept them cool at night. And though it's not inexpensive for a pillowcase, it's still half the price of other silk options. Fabric weight: 25 momme
2) One-Sided Silk Pillowcase - MYK$15.99Shop NowYou only sleep on one side of the pillowcase, so why should you have to pay for it on both? This genius design has a cotton underside to make it affordable, with a 100% silk fabric on top. It's only 19 momme so it may feel slightly thinner, but it's a steal at under $20. Plus, the brand sells 22 and 25 momme variations for a higher price.Fabric weight: 19 momme
3) Slipsilk Pillowcase - Slip$85.00Shop NowIn a blind comparison against other silk pillowcases, our panel gave this one the highest smoothness rating. Plus, the home users also said it felt incredible to sleep on. Just note that the fabric isn't as strong as others and it was prone to wrinkles after laundering, so take special care with this one.Fabric weight: 22 momme
4) Mulberry Silk Pillowcase - Brooklinen$59.00Shop NowIf you're unsure whether you're ready to splurge on a silk pillowcase, Brooklinen offers a generous year-long return policy so you get a full refund even if you just don't love it. Plus, it checks off all the boxes for a good silk pillowcase: Mulberry silk fiber, a good fabric weight and machine washable care instructions. Fabric weight: 22 momme
5) Silk Pillowcase Pair - Manito$225.00Shop NowYes, it's pricey, but it's sold as a set of two and was crease-resistant in our wrinkle evaluations, which is important beause you want the fabric to stay as smooth as possible. Even better, our at-home testers gave it the highest scores for comfort and smoothness. And while most silk pillowcases are air-dry only, this fabric is dryer-safe.Fabric weight: 22 momme
6) Silk Pillowcase - Cuddledown$12.00Shop NowWith a strong, abrasion-resistant, shrink-resistant and wrinkle-resistant fabric, this one earned the highest durability score in our test. It didn't wick moisture as well as others, but testers still gave it top scores for comfort.Fabric weight: 19 momme
7) Silk Pillowcase - Shhh$85.00Shop NowSave your blowouts while you sleep: Consumer testers gave this case top-ratings for preventing bedhead. They also said it was super comfortable and helped keep them at a comfortable temperature while they slept.Fabric weight: 22 momme
8) Silk Pillowcase - The Ethical Silk Company$60.00Shop NowIf you can't get used to the slippery feel of silk satin, this one is more matte, but still smoother than cotton fabric. The brand says this is because the silk is taken from the cocoon after the moth has already left it, unlike traditional silk fabrics. The case is also undyed to lessen the environmental impact.Fabric weight: 19 momme
9) Silk Pillowcase - SLPBABY$19.99Shop NowThis patterned case is perfect for those that prefer fun prints on their bed. It comes in 30 different designs from florals to geometric shapes to leopard print. It has a lower fabric weight and we haven't tested this one in our Lab just yet, but it has over 1,000 five-star reviews on Amazon.Fabric weight: 16 momme
10) Travel Silk Pillowcase - Spasilk$17.99Shop NowWhether you're traveling or have a young kid at home that wakes up with tangled hair from moving around all night, this pillowcase is made to fit standard travel- and toddler-sized pillows. The fabric also had good performance in our Lab's tests, including shrink-resistance, moisture management and comfort evaluations.Fabric weight not disclosed
11) Pillow with TriSilk Pillowcase - Night$159.99Shop NowThis silk pillowcase is knit (others are woven) and blended with spandex so it's stretchy and fits perfectly onto the memory foam pillow that it's sold with. Our testers said the set felt comfy to sleep on and helped control bedhead, though some thought the overall size seemed a bit small. The pillowcase also shrunk in our wash tests, but it was the most wrinkle resistant. Fabric: 95% silk, 5% spandex
12) 2-Pack Pillowcases - Morning Glamour$19.99Shop NowThough polyester satin isn't as smooth as real silk, it's less expensive and much more durable. This case was strong, didn't shrink in our wash tests and showed no signs of damage in our abrasion tests. It also proved to be moisture-wicking and consumer testers said it was comfortable to sleep on.
13) Satin Pillowcase 2-Pack - Bedsure$8.98Shop NowThis one's Amazon's Choice for silk pillowcases, even though it's not actually made with any silk. Like the previous pillowcase, it's made of polyester satin so it's less expensive and less fragile. It also has over 2,000 five-star reviews and because it's sold as a set of two, each pillowcase costs less than $5!