Mets' Wright will not resume baseball activity for another 8 weeks
David Wright's already stalled return has hit yet another roadblock.
After the star third baseman had his back and shoulder re-examined in Los Angeles on Monday, the New York Mets announced that Wright will have to wait another eight weeks before resuming any baseball activity.
Wright was already refraining from taking part in any baseball activities before Tuesday's news, according to James Wagner of the New York Times.
This latest shutdown is a huge blow to Wright's seemingly never-ending comeback attempt. Since he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in 2015 he's played just 75 regular-season games over the last three seasons combined, and missed all of 2017 because of his issues.
The 35-year-old has already sounded like he's coming to grips with his future this spring after admitting last month that he doesn't know when - or if - he'll be able to come back to Queens.
"Well, I'm going to give it my best shot, certainly," Wright told reporters when asked about his future last month. "Like I said, I probably have a lot of the same questions that you're asking me, and a lot of people are asking of me, because I just don't know."
Despite his career-threatening injury troubles, Wright remains one of the most beloved players to ever wear a Mets uniform and is the franchise's all-time leader in multiple categories, including hits and wins above replacement.
Owing to the uncertainty surrounding their captain, the Mets decided to patch the hole he's left at the hot corner by signing free-agent third baseman Todd Frazier to a two-year deal late in the offseason.
Copyright © 2018 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.