Come on, haven't we all stared longingly at a plate of steaming food, stomach growling, and thought "Screw it," before diving in instead of waiting like we should have? Few of those who answered "yes" to that question, though, can say they've been airlifted out of a restaurant and taken to a burn unit for doing so. But that was reportedly the case for one unfortunate Olive Garden-goer from Fort Worth, Texas.
Danny Howard, who ordered the restaurant's stuffed mushrooms (sadly not the first time mushrooms proved to be deadly), is suing the chain and seeking anywhere from $200 thousand to $1 million in damages. She claims that when she visited on August 11, 2017-nearly two whole years ago-she had not been properly warned of the dish's temperature. The piping hot mushroom allegedly got "lodged in her throat, which caused her to temporarily stop breathing and resulted in severe burns," the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.
The Star-Telegram says the lawsuit states Danny "frantically shuffled through the restaurant in need of help but was unable to speak. She eventually vomited in a kitchen station." Later, as she was driving herself to the emergency room, she called 911 because her throat began to close. From Harris Methodist Hospital she was taken on a CareFlight to the Burn Unit of Parkland Hospital in Dallas.
Now here's a quick challenge for all the adults reading this: Try actually waiting for your food to cool down a bit before scarfing it down.