A horrific story out of metro Detroit, where a man fell into a vat of sulfuric acid Saturday and died. The 54-year-old man fell at a Michigan Seamless Tube facility in South Lyon and was injured, dying later at a hospital, WXYZ reports.

It's not clear what caused him to fall or how long he was in the tank; a coworker ultimately pulled him out. The company says a "comprehensive investigation of the accident" is being conducted in cooperation with the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Police say the highly corrosive chemical was at least 160 degrees when the man fell in, ClickOnDetroit reports. MST is a manufacturer of pipe and tube, MLive reports.

(A sulfuric acid attack allegedly led a man to take his own life.)

This article originally appeared on Newser: Man Falls Into Vat of Sulfuric Acid