Oakland Athletics catcher Bruce Maxwell, who became the first Major League Baseball player to take a knee during the national anthem last September, announced Tuesday that he will stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" during the coming season.

Maxwell - who comes from a military family - expanded upon his decision to stop kneeling in a statement released Tuesday afternoon.

Bruce Maxwell’s statement: pic.twitter.com/NBkvIQwTNj— Jane Lee (@JaneMLB) February 13, 2018

Maxwell first took a knee before a home game on Sept. 23 of last year. The team came out with a statement of support that evening, and Maxwell said at the time he wouldn't stop taking a knee despite receiving threats after the fact.

In November, Maxwell was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and disorderly conduct after a food delivery woman said he pointed a gun at her. He pleaded not guilty in December.

Maxwell told reporters - including Martin Gallegos of the Mercury News - that he's unable to discuss the charges against him, and said Tuesday he doesn't anticipate the legal issues will become a distraction.

The 27-year-old hit .237/.329/.333 in 76 games for the A's last season, and is expected to compete for their starting catcher's job this spring.

Copyright © 2018 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.